Texas A&M GRADUATE RESEARCH ASSISTANTSHIP - TURFGRASS SCIENCE
GRADUATE RESEARCH ASSISTANTSHIP - TURFGRASS SCIENCE
Position: The Department of Soil and Crop Sciences at Texas A&M University is seeking a highly motivated student for a Ph.D. degree. The incumbent will conduct interdisciplinary research related to precision turfgrass management; specifically, investigations into the spatial and temporal dynamics of turfgrass and soil characteristics on golf course fairways for targeted applications of management inputs. The selected candidate will also be expected to act as a teaching assistant for two semesters in SCSC 429, Turfgrass Management Systems, or other lab courses within the Department.
- M.S. in turfgrass science or closely related field.
- Innate interest in turfgrass science and management (especially irrigation), with desire to gain research, teaching, and extension experience.
- A robust background in conducting field research.
- Experience with advanced sensor technologies for precision agriculture/turfgrass management applications.
- Considerable knowledge of geographic information systems, remote sensing, and image processing and analysis for turfgrass and soil mapping.
- Big data management and programming (e.g. Python, R) experience for agricultural projects.
- Strong communication skills (written and oral) and the ability to work with various industry partners and researchers from other institutions.
- A great work ethic and ability to be organized, creative, and self-driven.
This position requires travel to research sites and a valid driver’s license is mandatory.
Start date: Immediately upon completion of the review process and acceptance to the graduate program at Texas A&M University. A start date no later than August 30, 2021 is required.
Location: College Station, TX.
Stipend: A competitive stipend, tuition and fees, and medical benefits will be provided.
Contact: Interested individuals should contact Dr. Chase Straw (email@example.com) with a current curriculum vitae, at least one reference, and a brief statement of research interests and experience.